Friday, July 9, 2010

Sailing the Caribbean

Our second day in Paradise was spent sailing the beautiful, turquoise seas of the islands.
My parents have been to the Caribbean Islands now for 5 summers in a row. Three of those 5 times they have gone to St. Thomas and on those trips they took a day sail with Captain Ron and Carol. I've heard all about it and seen pictures but could never have imagined how awesome it really was. My parents really wanted us to experience this so my awesome Dad stayed behind and watched Kaden and Kaleiah and they gifted Randy and I this once in a lifetime adventure. We went with my Mom and my two nieces who came on the trip.
We got to the Harbor around 9am and shortly after, Captain Ron picked us up in his dingy and took us over to his sail boat. There we met his wife and first mate Carol :) She is such a sweet lady and Captain Ron is so genuine and friendly. They are an awesome couple. They are from the CA/WA areas and set sail one day on the Atlantic Ocean. They ended up in St. Thomas and loved it so much that they stayed. That was 28 years ago! They have been chartering day sails for all that time and last summer they decided to take a break. They sailed for a year to places like Panama and the Dominican Republic and Columbia. They have so many fascinating stories. My mom contacted them a while back to set up a day sail for this trip but they told her that they were no longer doing it. Turns out they had a change of heart and we were their first charter in a year! I guess we are pretty special :)

We set sail and it couldn't have been a more beautiful day for it. I have to admit, I was apprehensive to go and had some anxiety about Randy and I both leaving the babies for an entire day in an unfamiliar place. I worried that they might be upset or nervous w/ us gone so long but I knew they were in great hands w/ my Dad. I mean, there aren't many Grampa's of twins that have raised their own twins before :) So he knows a thing or two about it :) I told myself to have a great time and remember what a rare experience this was. It forced me to be w/o the twins and to just enjoy myself and the beauty around me. It forced me to catch a break and enjoy a beautiful day with my husband! It was fantastic.
We sailed for probably 30-45 minutes to Hawks Nest Bay on St. John for our first snorkeling stop. Words can not even describe the beauty around us. It was like we were picked up and placed right inside a post card. Absolutely gorgeous turquoise water, lush greenery and sparkling white sand. Nothing but the sounds of the water and the seagulls around us. I am usually not a big fan of snorkeling mainly because I don't like being in the wide, open ocean not knowing what is near or around me. That terrifies me! But I was not going to pass up this kind of experience. So Randy, my two nieces and I got our gear on and jumped into the warm, Caribbean water. So many fish to see! After only 5 minutes of snorkeling we came upon a giant sea turtle.! I love sea turtles! We were shrieking through our masks which I'm sure sounded very funny. I floated above him, just watching in amazement as he graciously swam about, sneaking glances back at us. Then we swam to the shore which is so small that they call it 2 butt beach bc it can only fit 2 butts :) It was spectacular, I could never get over the picturesque scenery!
After snorkeling for an hour or so, it was time for lunch which Captain Ron makes himself. We feasted on a very Caribbean meal of Jerk chicken, some sort of delicious black beans and rice, a yummy salad and to die for plantains! Seriously, amazing. And I think it's so cute that he's down there cooking it for us as we snorkel and play. Did I mention I got to eat in complete peace? A rarity in my life :) As much as I missed my munchkins, it sure was nice to not have anyone begging off and eating half of my food or keeping me so busy that I couldn't eat :)

After lunch, we fed the seagulls (which are so pretty) our scraps! Then it was time to just relax and nap under on hot Caribbean sun as we sailed off to our next snorkeling place. To me, there are fewer relaxing things than being on a boat, surrounded by amazing scenery, basking in the sun as a sail boat gently bobs up and down as it sails. Absolute heaven.

Our next stop was Christmas cove. I decided to pass on snorkeling and just relax. I did jump in at then end though.
This sailing experience was so awesome and Randy and I agree that it was our favorite experience of the whole trip. If you are ever on St. Thomas you just have to do it!



























3 comments:

Brenda said...

The day sail is my absolute favorite thing I've ever done in the Caribbean!! I love sailing with Ron & Carol! I could not imagine sailing with just anyone. It has to be them! Now you know why we love the Caribbean so much! We have visited St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John, Anguilla ( my second favorite), St. Martin /St. Maarten, and St. Kitts. But I never tire of visiting St. Thomas & St. John. I could definitely live there. We are so glad you got to have a little taste of what makes the Caribbean so special. The people, the food, the ambiance, the turquoise water, the beaches...........and the peas were so good, and adjusted so well. Made it easy for everyone!

jerfalco said...

thanks for the word picture. felt like i was there. way to write, mcraft!

and what was that shark-looking thing with the rib cage on its back? i watch a lot of shark shows and have never seen that.

jeremy

Tara said...

what a blissful day!!

* kind of* reminds me of the napali coast sails in kauai