Saturday, July 24, 2010

Griffith Park

As I mentioned in my previous post, my cute husband had a little surprised planned for our 5th anniversary. There is something so romantic about surprises and I love that in the end, it really does matter what it ends up being because it's about the fact that the person surprising you is doing it because they love you and put though into surprising you!
We dropped off K&K at my parents and started driving. We drove and drove and I suspected we were going to L.A. There's so much to do in L.A. and lots of things that he knows I want/like to do there. I didn't want to start thinking of things and have expectations so I tried to think about other stuff! Finally we were driving and he said we were close and I saw the sign. GRIFFITH PARK!
Some background on why he took me here...
I LOVE stargazing. Like, love it. On clear nights, I could stare at the stars for hours. There is something so magical and magnificent about the sky full of stars. It's beautiful and always reminds me of how much God loves me. God is the one who flung the stars into the sky. He knows ALL the stars in the sky and He knows them by name. But He still knows me and the number of hairs on my head. Amazing!
Randy has known that I love starring at the stars and two and a half years ago for my 25th birthday he printed out a picture of the observatory and promised we'd g o! Well, 2 months later I got pregnant and things just got a little crazy to say the least :)

Fast fwd 2 1/2 years, we pulled up to Griffith Park I was so excited! We spent the night walking around, looking at the different exhibits and learning about the starts etc. On Mercury I only weigh 49 pounds!
We spent most of the time though, outside enjoying the breathtaking view of L.A.
We watched the sun set to the left of the Hollywood sign and watched the city go from light to dark. It was so beautiful staring at all the city lights while snuggling up and drinking our cappuccinos. What a view! I could stare at it all night. And the company wasn't too bad either :)
The stars of course were beautiful even though the moon was SO bright, we couldn't see as many as we'd hoped.
It was so nice to just spend quality time together and only have each other to focus on. As you can imagine, as parents of twins, our focus is on them 99% of the time when we're with them. So it's always a treat to get to spend an evening as just husband and wife instead of Mommy and Daddy :)
For my gift to him, I kept it simple and thoughtful. For 5 years the gift is supposed to be wood so I got a wooden box that holds a picture, I painted it black and put a black and white wedding photo in it. Inside the box was a long letter I had written to him. He cried when he read it.
Turns out, one of his gifts to me was also a letter! I couldn't get over the fact that we both wrote each other long, heartfelt letters and neither of us had talked about doing so. I love that. So, so special. His letter was amazing and I was crying as he read it to me. I am blown away by the kind of man he is, and that he is my husband.
His other gift to me (which he should not have!) was a sweet, Canon point and shoot camera! I haven't had a point and shoot in probably 4-5 years. I have been talking about wanting one so I didn't have to use my beast all the time. Not only bc it's such a beast to lug around but also I really hate taking it everywhere bc it's just a matter f time before it gets ruined. Lugging it to Disneyland, to the beach etc is no bueno! Needless to say, I love my new, little guy and it was just in time :)

Last night was such an awesome night, one I'll be thinking about for a long time.
So blessed.
Here are some pics from our fun date:























2 comments:

Tara said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the griffith observatory! it's so beautiful there and the views are just amazing.

sounds like the most perfect night! :)

Brenda said...

Such a cute couple! Randy is " da man"!!! Loved your thoughtful gift for him too! Fun babysitting the peas, they are so easy to take care of if you know their cues, which we do!! Kaden always walks around saying "Mama go"?? Mama go?"..........I can usually distract him. Kaleiah just plays and plays........they are so good.