Tuesday, July 13, 2010

BVI (British Virgin Islands)

Day 3:
I got a passport for this reason-to go to the BVI!
This boat trip was the day after our day sail. Two straight days without K&K. Good for us but I sure did miss them! This was another once in a life time experience and it was awesome!!
We had to wake up at 6am and sneak out so K&K wouldn't be upset about us leaving. It was sad to sneak out on them and not say goodbye :( Grampa stayed behind for the 2nd day in a row so we could do this (along with the day sail, he had done this excursion before so he didn't mind). It was Randy, my mom, two nieces and me again.
We got to the dock, signed in and off we went. This was a speed boat time of boat and we went with about a dozen or so others. We headed over to Virgin Gorda to check out the famous Baths. They were beautiful!







After that we headed over to the island of Marina Cay which took about 45 minutes. This island was gorgeous and what I loved most was how small it was. It was like we were in the middle of no where. It's only 6 acres in size! Earlier on the boat we were given a menu to look at and pick out lunch which would be waiting for us at Pusser's when we arrived!
I picked a jerk chicken and pineapple quesadilla which was phenomenal and makes my mouth water still. I also got one of the Caribbean's famous drinks called a pain killer-delicious!!! Randy got a jerk hamburger which was spicy but so good.


Right when you get off the boat, on the dock there is a red phone booth like one you would see in London. Very random. Well, a picture is taken every 15 seconds and posted on the Pusser's web site. We went on and found our photo :) Here is one we took:








After lunch we went to Diamond cove, well I didn't but Rand and my niece did :) Then we headed over to the most anticipated spot of the day...The world famous Soggy Dollar Bar. This is a tiny bar on the Island of Jost Van Dyke in the BVI. It's like something straight out of a movie. Here you are, out on the open Caribbean Sea and you see this island in the distance that looks like there's not much on it. As you get closer to shore, all kinds of boats are anchored near it and the only way tot get to it is by jumping off the boat and swimming. Hence the name "Soggy Dollar" because when you get up to the bar, all of your money is soaked :) You get to shore and it's STUNNING. There's pure white sand and tons of turquoise beach chairs and hammocks to relax on.




There's Jimmy Buffet playing and people just having a grand ol' time. We ordered onion rings and I kid you not, they are the best ones I've ever had in my life! It was so cool to be sitting on this tiny beach with a hundred strangers, everyone is just having a blast bc the vibe is so fun and laid back. You feel like you are in the middle of no where but everyone is having the time of their lives!

I couldn't bring my camera due to teh fact that you have to literally swim to shore but my niece brought hers and held it above her head as she swam :) Back on St. Thomas I got this awesome necklace that is made to be filled w/ sand. I filled it with sand from the Soggy Dollar beach! After an hour or so there, it was a very long boat right back to the U.S. Virgin islands where we had to even go through customs. Now I have been to two foreign counties :) Mexico and the BVI!
We had so much fun and I really loved that experience!

2 comments:

Brenda said...

So glad you had such a good time! There's just something magical about the Caribbean! Jost Van Dyke, Soggy Dollar Bar is one of my favorite places! Kenny CHesney sings about Jost Van Dyke. Such a fun relaxing place to hang out for the day! Maybe you'll get to go back someday. We have been there three times and love it everytime!

Tara said...

such an adventure!!! you're makin me wanna go!!!