Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years Eve 2009

We had a fantastic NYE! The day was pretty mellow and at 5pm my parents came over because they were staying overnight! We had it planned for a while. Randy and I got dressed up and went to dinner at my favorite place, PF Changs. Then we walked around Laguna Beach a bit and decided to turn in early. We stayed at a super cute Best Western in Laguna bc it's my favorite place. We had stayed at that same hotel for my 24th b-day so it holds great memories. My sweet husband had it decorated and we even had New Years crowns and horns to ring in the New Year! We watched the ball drop with Dick Clark and Ryan Seacrest. We were both surprised we were able to stay up until mid night!
This was our first real overnight alone. By real I mean, we had the entire evening and night to ourselves and didn't have to worry about anything! Allow me to elaborate :) When the twins were 6 months old, we stayed just down the way for a night because the next day we were returning my pump to the hospital. I hadn't used it in over 2 months so we decided we should use it one last time and "get away" for a night. I pumped for a few feeds for the babies and then my parents stayed overnight with them. They hadn't had a bottle in so long that they almost didn't even eat from them that night! And, while it was nice to be with just my husband, I didn't get any more sleep than I normally did bc I still had to wake up for a midnight and 6am pumping! So that overnight get away doesn't really count, in our book :) There was no staying out or sleeping in. It was more of a test run to see how we would do being away from our babies for a night :)
Fast FWD to 12/31/09. I was so nervous to leave them! It had been 9 months since the first time! I knew they would be absolutely fine with my parents but I just didn't know if I would truly enjoy myself bc I would miss them so much. Randy had to practically drag me out of the house. I must have kissed them 700 times before I left. But, as always in any circumstance, they did great! My parents had so much fun they said :)
It was a fabulous night of just 100% quality time with my hubby, not having to worry about nursing or being on any schedule. We were free to what we wanted, when we wanted the whole time. That was our very first time to be like that in a year and a half. It was the first time we actually SLEPT by ourselves in 15 months. It was a MUCH NEEDED time for us. As a married couple, we strive to continue to put our marriage in top priority and spending time doing things that build it up. Dates and special times like that help us to stay connected and that is super important to us. Plus as parents it gives us time to re-energize which helps us to be better parents!
2009 was hands down one of the best years of my life, thanks to my children. 2010 will be even better I'm sure! I thank God for the past year of health an happiness and pray for that this year.

Happy New Year!!!




5 comments:

Meagan said...

How fun!!! What a great NYE! I agree with you, putting the marriage #1 is the most important thing. We talked a lot about it before we decided to start "trying' for a baby. Many people lose focus on their marriage and get too ingrained in the mommy & daddy roles that they wake up and realize they aren't in love any more. =( so sad. I truly believe that the best thing you can do for your child is keep your marriage strong so they can grow up in a happy family and not have to deal with things like divorce. ik!

You guys are the cutest!! And I'm so excited you guys got some romantic time together!

Megan said...

Thanks girl! I totally agree with you! You have to keep it fresh and keep the love and romance alive. Plus, who wouldn't want to model two parents still totally in love, for their kids? It was so much fun, it had been soooooooooooo long since we have done anything like that. Before kids something like that was a monthly occurrence! I want to hear about your NYE!

Meagan said...

I know what you mean!!! Now with a kid/kids, we reallllyyy have to make an effort for romance! so different, but I wouldn't change it for the world =)

I will post a NYE recap! We mostly relaxed but it was so niice!!!

Tara said...

so glad you guys got a romantic night away! and for new years! fuuun! i agree, it is VERY important to keep a marriage fresh, strong, vibrant, loving and romantic!

we had a night away booked in december and cancelled the day of. i *literally* felt sick at the idea of leaving brady over night and was having major anxiety. lcukily, matt was feeling the same way and we both figured it just wasnt time yet. i guess we're just not ready yet. :( we are hoping to try again for our anniversary this summer.

Dan and Sam said...

Sounds like a perfect night!! So great you were able to do that. We haven't been on an overnight since Gracie was born!