Friday, April 8, 2011

Potty Training!!






So yesterday we officially started potty training...and it wasn't even planned.

Now, originally I set the goal to start training after the Holidays were over which would have made the twins about 2yr and 3 mo. For one reason or another it got put off, a big reason being (as almost every mommy know) you should wait until your child is ready. They have been showing interest in the potty since right around turning 2 but I knew they weren't "ready." A lot of people try to say you should start right at 2 if not sooner but I was in no hurry. Especially bc I have TWO children to train. My husband and I decided April would be the month we tackle it because we weren't/aren't sure how long it will take and we knew we had a week long vacation in Maui in March. An important thing about PT is that there should be no other changes happening so we decided to wait until after Maui.
They have gone potty in their little potty's a few times each since Dec and Kaden even peed once in the big potty on Daddy's birthday in Dec :) They have been asking to use their potty more and more and I would always feel bad when I would say "maybe later" because was waiting to start when Daddy could be home a few days in a row to help me.

So let me recap yesterday since this is K&K's baby book and I document EVERYTHING! :)
I had their pottys out in their room because I knew we would be starting soon and Kaleiah asked yet again to go pee pee in hers. I decided it wasn't fair to keep putting it off because Daddy wasn't going to have 2-3 days off for another week or more. So I said to myself "I have no idea what's ahead but let's do this!!"
So I decided no more diapers until nap. But that left me with a problem...since I hadn't intended on starting, I had no undies. So I quickly grabbed some little bloomers that go to some of Kaleiah's dresses and they wore those as undies. I even found blue ones for Kaden :) I explained to them that those are their "big girl and big boy undies" and we want to keep them dry! I made it sound really fun and they were all cute and excited. We started around 10am and by 12 Kaleiah had already gone pee pee 4 times in her potty! I think Kaden had gone in his once and had one accident. I called Daddy and explained what was happening and asked if he could bring home some undies, some fun drinks and some rewards/treats on his lunch. He brought home a plethora of stuff which was so cute bc I could tell how excited he was :) Normally I would have loved to be the one to pick out the eundied but I decided that since he wasn't home to be a part of this first, that he could be involved that way and he was glad for that :)
They LOVED their big girl/boy undies and were so excited to wear them! I had a mix of emotions when I saw them on, I was cracking up at how cute they looked but a little sentimental too.
My method for PT was setting a cooking timer for 20 min and taking them every 20 min(I was actually just told about this method a few days ago from a friend and it sounded like a great way to go). I also had them drink and drink and drink so that they would need to go a lot. That is why I had Daddy bring home a bunch of new drinks! I have to say, it really worked!!
Every single time I took Kaleiah to the potty, she went (except maybe twice she didn't need to) and from 10-7 she had ZERO accidents!!! On her FIRST day! WOO HOO!!!
Kaden also went almost every time, a few times not and only had 4 accidents in 8 hours!! And the coolest part is, he went on an outing with me and had NO ACCIDENTS!!! Here's what happened:
After PTing all day by ,myself, I was beat! I told Daddy when he got home I was going to run to the Craft store and catch a break. We were going to make meatloaf for dinner but were out of eggs so I ran over to my parents (well, drove about 45 seconds) and when I came back K&K saw me and ran to the car. Kaden started crying and saying "Can I go with you?????" So on a whim I said sure. So Daddy took KH back home bc she loves to help cook and Kaden was going ot run with me ot the craft store. As soon as we got there I took him to go potty and then we browsed and I got what I needed. We got home after about 35-40 min and he syated dry the whole time!!! We were sooo proud of him. Shortly after though while eating dinner had had his 4th accident but at least it was at home :)


Today was Day 2 and I was so glad Daddy was going to be home for a little bit to help! Also, we stayed inside ALL day long yesterday which was hard on all 3 of us. We were going stir crazy! So today I decided we HAD to get out for some fresh air and sunshine. I know while PT you aren't supposed to venture out especially in the beginning but I didn't care. The worst that would happen is they would have an accident in their car seat...and that's what happened. Kaden did on the way home even though we had just had him try to go before we buckled him in. But big whoop, we just had to wash his clothes and car seat cover. No big deal.
We brought one potty with us and they each went once while we were there. Besides Kaden's accident, Kaleiah had one while playing and that was her first one yet. Put fresh undies and pants on her and she was good to go. It was nice soaking up some sun and letting them burn off some energy too.

All in all it's going FANTASTIC, I don' think yesterday could have gone much better for being the FIRST day!!!! I don't hitnk I could have been any prouder! And I believe that the reason it's going so well and they got the concept so fast is bc they are 2 1/2 (They turned two and a half on March 30th). I know I could have started sooner but it may have taken longer. They really, truly get the concept and can also communicate so much more at 2 1/2. I know there will still be accidents and some days will be worse than others but it's not as scary as I thought it was going ot be. And I feel proud that I am pulling off training twins at the same time. I still can't believe this phase is here! They are growing up so fast!!!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Yay for the Peas! Potty training goes much easier when THEY are ready. They get it and I have no doubt they will completely trained in two weeks or less! At least for daytime excluding naps and bedtime. I bet they are soooooo proud of themselves! Another milestone! They will change super fast now in these next 6 months on the way to being 3 year olds! And yay for mommy for knowing what's best for her little treasures! That's all that matters! <3 Mom

Tara said...

so glad its going so well!! i have heard that potty training a boy is a "waste of time, energy and money" until they are 3. glad to hear that isnt necessarily the case! brady is nowhere near ready. im thinking 2.5-3 will be our time...like you said, when HE is ready. my plan is to do the 3-day thing. hope it works! been reading up a lot on it lately. we'll see!

Megan said...

Oh no...this has not been a waste of energy or time AT ALL. They are both doing AMAZING. They both pretty much have it down, today was day 5 and ZERO accidents today. The best so far. Yesterday and today we even went on 2 hours outings and yesterday we only had one accident and today was zero. I am so amzed. It's actually been fun (tiring, but fun). I can't even describe how proud of them I am! For us, 2 1/2 turned out to be THE perfect age to do it.