Thursday, September 30, 2010

Happy Birthday my loves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WARNING* The following post is about the twins' birth so there are also pics! :) So don't read if you don't want the details! 2 years ago, you were born. You were not supposed to arrive until November 21st (but if you were not born by Nov. 7th I would be induced since 38 weeks for twins is full term). I had been in the hospital going through hell, just to keep you inside. Something I would do all over again in one heart beat. One day when you are my age, I will tell you all about it. I hope one day you'll realize just what I had to go through to get you here and I hope you'll realize that your Heavenly Father was with me every step of the way. He placed his hands over us and protected us. On September 30th 2008, I was on my 3rd day of bed rest at home after being in the hospital for 60 days. I did one activity the whole day and it was taking a shower. I was allowed to shower every other day and besides that I was allowed to get up to use the rest room (I barely had that many privileges in the hospital) and that was it. Other than that I had to be lying down (as with the hospital, sitting up wasn't permitted). So your Dad helped me shower (I could barely move, I was so weak from my muscles atrophying in the hospital, and my belly was so big I couldn't reach everywhere. Plus is needed to be quick and I just couldn't move fast). Then I was back in bed until dinner. I was only allowed to half way sit up to eat and so I was, as I ate the delicious beef stew your Daddy made. We were watching t.v and I just felt very wet. Could it be my water breaking, was my first thought. I went to go check and since there was no gush like I have always heard about, I was in denial that that's what it was. But this had never happened before so it just didn't seem right. Your Daddy and I debated for a few minutes about weather that's really what it was. I was scared out of my mind bc I knew you were 2 months early and I just knew you were not ready to be born. At 32 weeks your lungs were not fully developed and I knew by you coming this early, it would inevitably mean NICU. But when I got put in the hospital at 23 weeks and 4 days, they told be that 32 weeks was the biggest mile stone ahead and you would be so much better off if we could keep ou in unt il then. That was 9 weeks away and very daunting. I didn't know how you would stay in so long when I was already in labor. Had you been born the night or even the week I got admitted, your chances of survival was 5%. Devastating news. But we never stopped praying during those 9 weeks. And as each week past and I hit 24, 25, 26, 27 and 28 weeks, we were just beside ourselves falling on the knees of our hearts praising God. So the fact that I made it to 32 weeks and 4 days was something to be proud of and to praise God for. Randy called the hospital and told them we thought my water broke. They of course, remembered us and our situation and said get here right now. I was so devastated at the thought of going back. There for 8 and 1/2 weeks and only home for 3 and 1/2 days. But we had no choice. We threw some things together as fast as we could and I called my Mom to come over and to see if she believed my water broke. She did. She rode with us to the hospital which is about 15 minutes away. As we drove on the freeway my contractions started. That confirmed it, you were on your way. I was sent to triage and checked right away. I was 4 centimeter dilated in less than an hour of my water breaking. I'd say in less than 45 minutes. I changed into a gown and was wheeled into a delivery room. Family was all being called and starting to come to the hospital. My contractions were full blown and hurt terribly. But I didn't have to endure them too long bc I was checked again (about 30-40 min after I arrived) and I was dilated to 7 centimeters, I progressed fast! I got an epidural and finally felt a little better. My situation is not like most mothers. I wasn't full of joy and anticipation, just dying to meet you. Only because, for your safety, you should not be being born yet. It was too early and I was so worried about your survival and health. Do not get me wrong, your Daddy and I were excited to meet you and see your beautiful faces, but we just weren't ready. Again, we were in fear bc of you be in premature. But we knew you would be in great hands in the NICU and continue to be protected my God. One of the Dr.'s who would be delivering you came in and discussed with us wether we wanted a vaginal birth or a c-section. I, for a few reasons, wanted to give birth to you naturally. I was already recovering from the best rest and I really didn't want to have to go through surgery and have to recover from that too. Also, as a mother, I wanted to experience true child birth. The way women have been doing it for thousands of years. So my Dr. (who was not working that night) called our room and we discussed it. Kaden, you were Baby A and you had always been head down. All along I was told that if Baby A was head down, I could do a vaginal birth. So that is what I hoped for. Kaleiah, all along you were what is called transverse meaning almost horizontal. As you grew you became breech. Knowing that, my Dr. said it would be risky to do a vaginal birth bc they may not be able to get you to flip to head first. And that I could deliver Kaden but then might have to go back and have a c-section for you. Also, because you were premature, labor would be extra stressful on you. And Lord knows I did not want that. I wanted you to to be born the way that was best for you. I would go through anything as long as you were safe. So we decided that a c-section was best. Family started coming into my room, including both sets of Grandparents, your Aunt Molly (my twin sis), and your Aunt Kristi. We took some pics and then soon it was time to go in for surgery. I was wheeled in the O.R around 10:00pm. Daddy had to wait outside while they prepped me. Then he came in and they started cutting me open. The actual c-section is so hard for me to describe. I assume just as birth is, a c-section is different for everyone. Mine was pretty horrible. I had never felt so much pressure, it felt like an elephant was walking on me. It was so hard to breath! Just tons of tugging and pulling and m body was jerking back and forth. It seemed like it took an hour but it was only about 10-12 minutes! It was also so weird not to be able to feel my legs. I remember Randy stood up to see Kaden being born and I was just waiting to hear his cry just know he was Ok, at least at first. His cry was so precious. Then less than a minute later Kaleiah was born and she didn't cry right away but a few seconds later. And there they were! They were actually in this world, and we were parents! After everything we had gone through the 2 months prior, it was surreal and miraculous. When c-sections are scheduled, you are told not to eat after midnight. Well, we surly did not expect or plan for the babies to be born that night so unfortunately, I came in on a full stomach. I think that is what made my experience so horrible bc I was vomiting (lying down mind you) the entire rest of the time until I was sewed up and taken to my recovery room. A few minutes after you were born they brought you over to me so I could see your precious faces!!! First was Kaleiah and you were sooooo beautiful! I wanted to just hold you so bad. I cupped your head and kissed you and then you had to be taken away :( I wouldn't even get to hold you for 9 days. Then they showed me Kaden and Buddy, you had a black eye and a black and blue ear. We learned this was from being kicked the whole time in the womb :(. Interestingly enough, Kaleiah's heel was completely black and blue as well! You were soooo cramped in there! Recovery was ROUGH!!! I was almost completely out of it. I was on the strongest medicine they could give me and they had trouble stopping my bleeding and getting my uterus to contract back up. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything and my mouth was so dry I thought I was going to die. I couldn't even swallow because I had zero saliva in my mouth. I had to beg and beg for a least some ice. They said I could eat a piece every 10 minutes. I had a nasal cannula for oxygen and I could NOT STOP SHAKING. My teeth were chattering. They covered me in hot blankets. I remember the nurses had to come in about twice and hour and with a fist, push super hard on my stomach (that was JUST cut open!) and see if I was still bleeding. It was soooo painful, I can't even describe it. And I remember one of the nurses saying "Your stomach is already practically flat and you just gave birth)! By now it was nearly 1am. I remembering being so sad that the rest of the family was in the NICU looking at you and I, your own mother, barely got to see you. I was sad that other people were getting to look at you and see all the details about you and not me. But I was so tired and so drugged up that I just wanted to sleep. I remember your Dad coming in and saying "Honey they are SOOO cute!!!" He asked me if I wanted to see pictures he had just taken but it was just too much for me at the time. I was finally given a little button to push to release the medicine as I needed it. I was in a lot of pain. It would only release a certain amount an hour even if I pushed it a trillion times. I finally got some sleep. That night was and will always be completely surreal to me. I am so grateful for all the people God placed in our path that helped us get your here safely. It was God's Divine plan for you to be created and born. You were made for a reason by a loving Creator and I will always remind you of that. You have brought more joy to our lives the past two years than I thought my heart could EVER contain. Just when I think it can't get any better, it continues to. I know the reason I am so overly protective and so appreciative of EVERY little moment in your life is because had one thing been different, you may not be here at all. So that is why I never take a single second for granted. I will praise God the rest of my life that you are complete healthy and such happy little babies. Your Daddy and I love you more than we will ever be able to write. I can't wait to teach you and tell you about God's love and how special your story is and how many people we have been able to talk to and encourage bc of what we went through. You are amazing and I thank God for gifting me you two. My life has so much meaning and purpose bc of you! I love you Kaden and Kaleiah!!! *HAPPY 2ND BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!* Love always,
Mommy




*

Here is the video. We only had 5 minutes of battery left so this is what we got! I am so thankful I have this video!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Kaden & Kaleiah! Wow, I remember like it was yesterday, your phone call, mom, I think my water broke, can you come over? I went right over, I didn't want to alarm you, but I knew your water had broken. It has a very distinct oder. So I told Randy as calmy as I could, get her bag and let's go to the ER and have her checked. All the time I knew this was it. And of course as we tried to hurry and get there it seemed as if we hit every single bump in the road and it was jarring you, and it seemed to take forever to get there and get you checked in. I had a C Section with you and Molly, my twins. And talk about surreal............watching my baby girl, a twin, getting ready to deliver her baby twins at 32 weeks. I was scared for them and for you. But Randy remained so calm, and comforting to you. An amazing night for sure. We are so lucky, so blessed that they were protected. The next 6 weeks of NICU was another story. <3 Mom

Marcella Deter said...

What a great video. Tears swelled up in my eyes. What an amazing journey!!!

Olga Marquez said...

wow you went through so much during the last few months of being pregnant. What a strong women you are!

You have two beautiful children!! They are so cute, and very blessed to have you as their mommy.

Happy Birthday to your little ones =) God bless.

Meagan said...

Oh my gosh! How scary. I'm so glad that God had his hand on the three of you.

<33

PS I LOVE the picture on your header!

Tara said...

im so sorry your cesarean experience was so bad. :-(

maybe next time, with a singleton, it wont be as bad?!

i promise, they arent all like that!! next time will be better!! :-)