Sunday, October 19, 2008

YAY!!!

Today the babies are 19 days old! Today I did skin to skin with both of them, it's such an amazing time to bond. They know they are against mommy's skin and they just relax and usually fall fast asleep. They recognize my scent and heartbeat. Not only is it incredibly important and good for their health but it's also extremely good for my milk supply. A few days ago I attempted to breast feed Kaden while doing skin to skin and he didn't do much, which is totally normal. It's more to just get them used to it, every exposure helps.
My mom was there to help me today...she is a breast feeding PRO who without her I don't know if I could be so diligent with the pumping. She has instilled in me the value and importance of breastfeeding and for me...there is no other option. It's absolutely the most NATURAL and beneficial thing you can do (in my opinion). I know for a fact that it is due to my breast milk that the babies are doing so well. They have grown leaps and bounds since being able to be fed it. My mom breastfed 6 children including TWINS and so I know I can do it. It's extremely hard pumping every 2-3 hours 24/7 and sometimes I get discouraged but I know it's what I have to do and I actually take GREAT PRIDE in being able to do this for my babies. It's one of the only things I can do for them right now and it will be the only thing that only I alone can do for them.
Well today was my first try with Kaleiah (and my 2nd try at it EVER) and she actually latched right on and ate a little! It was a beautiful thing. I wasn't sure if I was doing it right or if she was either, if she was getting anything...although it seemed like it. But just being able to have that special time with her and for both of us to get in some practice was a blessing.
The neat thing about them having a tube for feeding is they can stick a syringe on to it and pull out what is in their belly. So the nurse needed to check if Kaleiah had in fact eaten anything and I was able to see that she did!!! It feels great knowing I successfully breastfed! I know it won't always be that easy but I was blessed today. I won't be able to breastfeed exclusively til they are home though because they have to be bottle fed first in the NICU before they can come home. But hopefully I will get to do one feeding a day with them.
Here are some pics, one of my little girl so content from skin to skin time and one showing what she ate :)



3 comments:

Brenda said...

Megan, that was an incredible special moment today! I am glad I was there to guide you along! You have to catch the babies when they are alert and acting hungry! It's harder after they have had tube feeding because their tummies are full, they get sleepy, and not too interested in trying to feed because they just ate!!! So it worked out perfect today because I could tell Kaleiah seemed wakeful and hungry! Yay!! Good job!! Keep working with Kaden!

You will be an inspiration to other new moms of multiples that want to breastfeed!!

Love you! Mom :)

Suefalla said...

I'm so happy to hear that you had a good breastfeeding experience today. I'm so impressed that you are pumping so dilligently around the clock.
You are a great mom!!

much love, sue

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE A GREAT MOTHER IT 'S NICE TO HEAR EVERYTHING IS GOING WELL..GOD BLESS...TAKE CARE..

WILMARIE