Thursday, December 10, 2009

So bitter sweet

Last week I weaned the twins...it has been very bittersweet. For the 2 weeks before I weaned them I could tell they were ready, or, that they would be OK with the decision. That is pretty much the only reason I chose to do it now, not because I was in any rush.

I knew this day would come and since I'm not very good w/ adjusting to change, I was sort of dreading it. But, I have done surprisingly well with the change :)

I just can't believe that precious time is already up. Where did 14 months go??? Speaking of 14 months, I so blessed that I was able to nurse them for that long. My goal I set when I first started was 12 months so I am thrilled that I surpassed that personal goal. Anyone who knows my story knows what I went through to get to the point where I could, just like most normal moms, nurse my babies exclusively. The first 3 months I was pumping 6-8 times a day along with nursing. It was EXHAUSTING to say the least! But I was determined and there was no other choice for me. I had a lot of people doubt that I would be able to nurse twins without supplementing, even my Dr.
Wrong! :)

So proud of my little babies for doing so well, too. Being 2 months premature and spending 5 1/2 weeks in the NICU is what made getting the hang of it so hard. I only got to try nursing them twice in the 5+ weeks they were in the hospital. When they got home I tried all day, everyday. So, as exhausting as it was for me, it was for them too. They were fragile little preemies who tired quickly. Being born before the sucking reflex was developed and having to learn from bottles in the NICU made it so confusing for them on how to latch on. After trying for 3 months straight, every 3 hours, they turned 4 months and finally got it! It was perfection from then on!

It is possibly one of the sweetest bonds in life, one that I again, feel blessed to be able to have experienced. I will miss the one on one bonding time with each of them everyday. It has been sad for me a couple of nights, just putting them to bed and not nursing.
The babies handled it perfectly, went to bed perfectly fine from the 1st night I stopped. So, that also confirmed that they were ready too. They didn't mind at all, either way.
I am (and my husband is too) excited for the new freedom this will bring :) We will finally to be able to go on a date and not worry about having to be home at a certain time and in the near future, go on an overnight and maybe even a small trip...alone! It's been about a year and a half since we have done so!

No picture for this post, I'm afraid a pic of me tandem nursing is a little to personal :)

I realize this post may be TMI but this blog is my journal so, oh well! :) Plus, I'm pretty sure most of my readers and women and mom's :)

2 comments:

Tara said...

that is so great, girl!! i definitely admire you. i think nursing is one of the greatest gifts mom can give their babies! i seriously cannot believe you made it that long with twins. i think that was definitely Gods doing for sure! what a blessing!!

i think i told you, my goal was 6 months and i barely made it. my supply was dwindling. i ended up going the pumping route as well (in the end, to help increase the supply). for the last few months of breast feeding brady, i pumped exclusively.

i pumped every 4 hours, round the clock for those last 3 moths. i have fond memories of pumping in public restrooms, in the car, at 3am while watching infomercials...lol. needless to say (you know this well) it is hard work and sacrifice, but i wouldn't have it any other way.

i missed the physical bonding of the nursing, but i still loved knowing that i was providing all of his food, nourishment and everything his body needed to thrive. it is such an incredible feeling knowing that our bodies alone can sustain our growing babies.

it truly is bittersweet. i actually cried when i pumped for the last time. but once i made it over that emotional hurdle, the freedom was SO NICE! :) it's also really nice to have my body back. between 38 weeks of pregnancy and 6 months of BFing, i was ready for my body to just belong to me again for a little while. :)

congrats again, girl. and thanks for sharing your story. i bet it probably gives a lot of hope to moms of multiples hoping to nurse! :)

Brenda said...

Megan, I am so proud of you. You will have the fondest, sweetest, memories of nursing. So glad you stuck to it. Weaning is alwyas bittersweet, even if you think you're ready, you will miss it.

You had so many obstacles to overcome everyday. from going straight from bed rest, having a c-section, and pumping everyday, no sleep, twins in the NICU, daily hospital visits to the NICU to take the milk to them, you were so exhausted!

You definitely should volunteer your experience to nursing moms of multiples someday.