Friday, October 22, 2010

Riley's Farm/Oak Glen

We have a Fall tradition in our house and I love it. This was the 3rd year in a row that we have gone to Riley's and the 2nd year that we've gone with Kaden and Kaleiah :)
It's about an hour and a half drive but we love getting out of our Orange County bubble and being in a new town for the day!
Last year when we took the babies for the first time, they were about about 12 months old and while it was delightful and fun, they didn't really "get" everything. This year was so different than last year because they are such a wonderful age of wanting know what EVERYTHING is, and also knowing what many things are. They were excited to see the pumpkin patch because they are really in to pumpkins right now. Kaleiah saw a little one (she's like me and adores all things "little") and ran for it saying "I want the little one!" She was so proud of her find and that she could carry the pumpkin around with her. But we just couldn't let her keep it bc it was gross and rotting :) It was also different because the weather was the complete opposite from last year. While we always go at the same tim (mid October), we were surprised by how different this years weather was. Last year it was so hot and humid and we were sticky and sweaty and it was kind of a drag. This year was awesome. It was really cold, a little drizzly and socked in by low, heavy fog. Perfect Fall weather! We all dressed warm and the fog made for great photos. The pumpkin patch was so eerie looking bc of the fog. On our way out of the farm, we spotted some horses and I had Randy pull over so I could go pet them and let the babies watch from the car. What a great move :) They LOVED watching me pet them and I even fed them some of our strawberries. I opened he door to the van so they could have a clear view. The look on their faces was adorable. Like "wow, what is Mommy doing?" Then, we set the camera up on self timer so Randy and I could take our usual picture of us on the fence. We forgot to take it last year but did take it the first year we went. This year the leaves were so beautiful red and Fall looking. Loved it.
Then it was off to Oak Glen village, an adorable little place that we also always go to. It has a few tiny little shops, a mom and pop restaurant, an old little convenient store where we HAVE TO get pumpkin fudge (I crave it all year and so I love when this time rolls around)! They also have a little petting zoo. Last year when we took K&K, they enjoyed seeing the animals but weren't super in to it. This year was much different. They are big animal lovers (although Kaden gets a little nervous around most animals, especially big ones). Kaleiah couldn't wait to help feed them. She fed piglets and goats. She was fearless and she loved it! Kaden did pet sheep but was just way too scared to feed anything! I love his sensitive, tender nature :)
After the zoo we went to the mom and pop place and had fried chicken and home made vegetable soup! Last stop was to get my pumpkin fudge and then we headed home. We left right at nap time and they napped all the way home so it was perfect!
I love our tradition and I get so excited when I think about all the years we will do this. It's so special and I am so thankful for our little family!






























This picture by the way, is one of my very favorites of Kaden, to date. I entered it into the Baby Gap casting call! Could you not just see this hanging up in the Baby Gap stores? :)



















3 comments:

Tara said...

LOVE the weather you had!! great pictures!!

3 boys 1 princess said...

OMG! are you not the cutest EVER?!

Olga Marquez said...

Beautiful Pictures(as always)!

What a great/fun tradition!