Wednesday, July 29, 2009

One Year Ago...





Today, July 29th, marks one year since the day I was hospitalized for going into pre-term labor. It is hands down, to this day, the scariest thing that has ever happened to me.
That day was not unlike any other. I felt so great and was just absolutely loving being pregnant with twins. I had just gotten back from a work trip in Austin, TX about 3 days prior. I even went to the beach that day with my mom and niece and we were feeling the babies move and kick.

I went home and showered and headed off to the Dr. for my routine cervix ultrasound. God protected all of us that day because had I not had that appointment, everything would be totally different. I am so thankful I had that routine check up that afternoon and that they were able to stop me from delivering that day.

Turns out, I was in labor and I never even knew it. Most women experience Braxton Hicks contractions at some point in their pregnancy (usually the 3rd trimester). I had been having them since I was 12 weeks pregnant. I was told it was normal bc I was having multiples. I was never, ever concerned about them. Uncomfortable, yes, but never anything more. Looking back, my time in Austin was full of them. Strong, longer ones and very, very frequent. But I had no idea it was a sign of what was to come. That trip is one I should have avoided. Flying, being in Austin in the middle of summer, walking around a lot and in that heat and probably being dehydrated...I know it contributed to my situation. I am just so thankful to my Savior for waiting until I got home for it to happen. I can't imagine how I would have gotten through it had I been hospitalized in Austin for over 2 months.

When I was in the hospital, it was then that I learned that the only difference between braxton hicks and real contractions is if it is changing your cervix. The contractions I had been having that day at least, were. But there was no way for me to know that. Again, a blessing that I had a check up that day. My cervix had shortened to a 1 and my contractions were 3-5 min apart. I was immediately put on bed rest and hit with everything but the kitchen sink. Multiple shots, medications and IVs. The worst of all was the IV drip of Mag which I was on for one month straight. It made me have double vision, flu like symptoms and I was on a big time fluid restriction.

I do not miss those days at all but I am eternally grateful for them. They were necessary for the health and lives of my babies. Had they been born that day or shortly after, they probably wouldn't have survived. Now I have two BEAUTIFUL, HEALTHY, HAPPY, THRIVING 10 month old babies that were SO WORTH EVERYTHING I (and Randy) went through. I will never forget those days and how much they made me appreciate LIFE and all of the daily privileges that we may take for granted.

It is hard to believe it was a year ago already. I am already planning Kaden and Kaleiah's 1st birthday!

"And my heart will sing, how great is our God."

No comments: