Thursday, March 31, 2011

tid bit

A lot of people have asked and still do (including strangers which I find kind of rude...I wouldn't ask a total stranger such a personal question but that's just me), if we had twins naturally.
We did! In fact, we conceived on our very first try. In December of 07 we decided that we were both ready, after 2 1/2 years of marriage, to start a family. We prayed about it and made sure that this was God's will and timing for us. We decided March would be the month we began to start trying and like a lot of other people I kno, I heard it could take 6-12 months. I had my cycle down to a T and new when the most optimale day to conceive was. 6 days before I would late, we took the test (truly not getting our hopes up) and we were THRILLED and ECSTATIC to see the 2 lines!
At 6 weeks pregnant I got this little voice in my head one day while showering tht said "what if it's twins." I actually got annoyed that I would even think something like that because, and this sounds bad but I will explain, I never wanted twins. Being a twin (identical so no, me having twins has ZERO to do w/ me being one) growing up we saw how hard it was on multiple levels for my parents. Not only is it twice the work but it's expensive! My sister and I always said growing up that we did not want twins. So I shrugged off that thought but it would randomly pop in my head for the next few weeks. The reason I thought that in the shower that day was bc I felt like I was showing already. I normally had/have a super flat stomach and to me it looked slightly puffy.
At 7 weeks I was at a baby shower for my sister in law and my older sister touched my belly and said "wow you're already showing." I was immediately offended and told my mom what she had just said. She just looked at me for a second and said, "do you ever think you might be having twins?" I said "sometimes." Later she said I had to listen to that voice bc that was my intuition, my gut. I refused to! I didn't want to believe it. I would tell my husband that sometimes I thought that and he would just say "No...no, there's no way." Fast forward a few weeks to my first dr. appointment where no ultrasounds where to be done. We did the normal check up and at the end I told her that I thought maybe I was having twins and I fibbed an told her they ran in my family (even though my sis and I were the only set and like I said, identical is not hereditary) and she said ok well let's just check really quick. We walked into a little ultrasound room and it was her, me and my husband. She did a vaginal ultrasound and right away there was a little bean on the screen. She moved it a tad and what looked to be like 2 flashed up. We all knew what we saw. She moved it again and there, clear as day was TWO BABIES! She started laughing in disbelief. I reach up and grabbed her arm, speechless. My husbands eyes were like saucers.
See, I knew it I thought to myself!!!! So, so nuts.
EVen though I thought I never wanted twins, we are EXTREMELY blessed beyond words. To get pregnant with twins, a boy and a girl, on the first try is pretty darn cool. And I wouldn't change it for the world even though it's a hectic life :)

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

That is such a cool story! Amazing how life turns out!

Tara said...

i always wonder (but NEVER ask) if people w/twins conceived naturally or IVF. i knew yours was natural, but i do often wonder. :)