Friday, December 3, 2010

Snow!

Warning, this is a long post....with lots of pics :)
Today we went up to the mountains in hopes of it being snowy for our Christmas card photos and we lucked out! I can't remember the last time I have been to the snow, maybe 5-7 years ago but I love it and we were THRILLED to be taking the twins to experience another "first." Fun fact: I was born in Colorado Springs so I grew up in my very early years in snow :)
Even though it was about a 2 hour drive, I must say I LOVE the fact that we can live at the beach and drive to the snow in a matter of hours. So stinking awesome!
As soon as we put the munchkins in the snow, they both starting eating it! Never did we even mention that you could eat snow so we were both amazed that that was the FIRST thing they both did! And they were saying "It's like ice" :) So smart :)
And oh my goodness was the weather gorgeous! Here we were, playing in the snow in a beautiful wintery setting and it was actually warm. If you know me, you know I am cold 90% of the time and I hate being cold! Imagine my (and Randy's!!!) surprise when I had to take my vest, gloves and earmuffs off bc I was getting too warm! I was so giddy about that bc it was so wonderful to be in the snow and not even be cold! It was slippery, I ate it...big time...twice. And the first time I couldn't stop laughing! I felt like I looked like someone in one of those movies that tries to catch their balance forever and their arms are flailing in circles and they have this petrified look upon their face! That was me! I tried grabbing on to a tree and then... whoosh! My feet flew right out from under me. Randy was staring from a dozen feet away saying "are you ok?" and the babies were starring a me like "what the heck?" They had a deer in headlights look. Probably bc a) they just saw me fall big time and b) were probably confused why I was laughing so hard about it. Classic.
The second time I fell I had Kaleiah in my arms! Oh no! I was trying to walk carefully but I tell you, that snow it slick! And hello, it's not like I am ever walking in snow...there must be a "right way" to do so :) As I felt us going down, I tried so hard to make sure I landed w/ me taking the brunt of the fall and not let her hit. But she started crying almost instantly, I'm assuming just from the fright. Must have been scary for her! While driving home we were just takling about the fun we had in the snow and I asked her if she remembered when I fell and she said yep. She told me she hit her ear. Aw! Poor thing. But she lived to tell about it :)

In true Kaden fashion, he would periodically exclaim "My hands messy!" He doesn't like his hands to be "messy" unless it's lotion or finger paint :) I would wipe off the snow and put his gloves on and that happned numerous times :) I felt a little bad that it was so slippery that they couldn't just run around but they were so occupied with eating ice that they were pretty much good to go. And I was just so happy that they weren't freezing!
The cute red chairs are my mom's antiques passed down from family and I thought of them as soon as I thought of our theme for this years pics. They were just perfect little props for this!

We've had today planned for weeks but I almost rescheduled because my poor hubby is sick. He assured me he still felt up to it, besides, today was really the only time we could and still get the cards out in time. Randy only gets sick once a year (some luck huh?) but it ALWAYS falls right near his birthday. Ever since we've been together (9 years), last year was his first birthday where he wasn't sick! He was such a trooper with having a terrible head cold (I am such a babies when it comes to those), a sore throat and nearly no voice. But by the time we got there he was just not feeling up to me taking 1,000 photos and being there for multiple hours. So we got our family shot for our Christmas card first thing and then just snapped away as K&K played and explored in the snow. I had so many different shots in mind but besides Randy being ill, we were fast approaching K&K's lunch time which is immediately followed by nap time. And it was obvious they were getting hungry and tired as well. So while we were somewhat rushed, I did get a bunch of cute pictures that I am in love with! Along with picking a few for our Christmas card, I'll be framing 5 for the house and I can't wait!
As we were leaving I told Randy that I want to come back on a day where we have more time (and that he feels better) so we can just play and build snowmen and have snowball fights! We have family with a cabin in big bear and I think we are going to plan a weekend trip up there in January! Can't wait! Enjoy the pics :)















3 comments:

Tara said...

what adorable pics! LOVE the idea for the chairs!! great addition!! i have to say, it takes a true photographer to drive 2 hours just to take a xmas card photo! ;)

i agree-living in a location where you can go to the beach or the snow in the same day is so incredible. makes me very grateful to live in this great state!

Anonymous said...

These pictures are gorgeous. I LOVE THEM!!! I miss the snow too ( i used to live up north) and I can't wait to take Rowan to see the snow!!!

Leah Bergman said...

These pictures are great! I love the location.