Saturday, November 1, 2008

How we spent Halloween 08

Last night was Halloween and we spent it with our babies! We did what is called "rooming in" and it's offered and suggested by the NICU Dr.'s and nurses. Basically you stay the night in a hospital room with the babies to get a taste of what it's going to be like. But this way, you still have nurses and Dr.'s to help in case anything goes wrong.
Randy and I were a little nervous because we knew the night would be a sleepless one. On top of that it was not the best feeling for me to stay in the hospital again-I couldn't believe I was willingly doing so. I have now spent 65 nights total in that place!
I must say, Randy and I did really well for our first night as real parents :). Neither of us have ever taken care of an infant over night and we weren't quite sure what to expect. I knew however, that our instincts would kick in and it would just be natural. It was.
We marveled at the fact that we were a family for the night! Finally, it was just the 4 of us, on our own. And the babies were more beautiful than ever, they got the feeding tubes out of their noses and it was awesome to see them looking so normal.

It was actually a pretty uneventful night. The only reason we had to wake up was to feed them. They eat every 3 hours and we fed them 4 times each. They have been on a schedule in the NICU so we had to follow that. Kaden eats for example, at 2am and Kaleiah eats at 2:30am. And with my pumping schedule, I pump every 3 hours so I had to pump at 3am. So it was feed one baby, feed the other, pump and sleep for about and hour and then do it all over again. But it wasn't that bad and I was not nearly as I tired as I imagined I would be. Don't get me wrong, we are exhausted today but we expected to be so tired that we couldn't see straight and it wasn't that bad. They are very good babies from what we can tell. They didn't cry once the entire night. Also, I think the fact that I have been pumping every 3 hours for almost 5 weeks to stay on their schedule prepared us for it.
The babies will be home soon as they are both eating all their feeds from the bottle!!! We are beyond excited. We can't wait to just finally be a family!!!!!!








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! No tubes!! I can't wait for them to come home!

Brenda said...

Last night was so special. It is all going to be "normal" soon! You both are great parents!

Love,
Mom

Meagan said...

How awesome!! They are so adorable!! I'm excited for when you guys get to all be home together!

Bonnie Lewis said...

oh my gosh they are sooooo cute!!! they always have been but the joy of the whole family being together! Praise God!